Play Sports Group are looking for a Back End Developer to join our growing team based in Bath, UK.
We are looking for a developer to work with our existing team and help to create new and maintain current projects. You will work on the back end side of sites alongside our front end developers. You will be creating and maintaining servers and making sure things are not only running as smoothly and quickly as possible, but also to our high creative and security standards.
You will be working on tasks that integrate with other services, such as a variety of Google APIs and also custom client services. Integration with with product management/ERP systems will also be part of the job.
The role will involve working on projects across all areas of the Play Sports Group’s (PSG) business operations, from directly for the Global Cycling Network (GCN) or Global Mountain Bike Network (GMBN) to Working on SHIFT’s client websites.
Primarily working with Linux cloud-based servers, you should be comfortable using a command line interface, while an understanding of NGINX would be beneficial. You should have experience of using version control and deploying content to servers.
In addition, you’ll be able to assist in all areas of the business, from development, design and creative ideas, to working with the finance team – we’re a small but rapidly developing business, so we all work on making it grow.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Solid experience of developing professional web applications with PHP using CMS systems (ideally WordPress and WooCommerce)
- Experience deploying and maintaining sites on Linux servers using an NGINX environment
- Comfortable using Git for version control.
- Experience using APIs (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter) etc
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to discuss ideas with clients and developers alike.
- Package management experience (ideally Composer)
- Knowledge of deployment tools (any experience with Capistrano is a bonus)
NICE TO HAVE
- Any experience in developing Apps for iOS or Android (or other services)
- Knowledge of PHP frameworks such as Zend or Laravel would be beneficial
- Any experience with unit testing or integration testing
- While we’re not looking for a designer, you’ll be expected to at least be able to navigate your way around Photoshop
- Any experience working with Magento
- Previous experience of OS X not essential, but we are an Apple studio and you will be working on a Mac
A love and in-depth knowledge of cycling and the bike industry is advantageous, as is a proven understanding of the modern media landscape.
The Play Sports Group is the world’s leading creator of cycling digital video distributed on YouTube and Facebook. We are a digital sports media company focused on the world of cycling. Combining our deep love of the sport with world leading expertise in video and digital distribution, we have built a leadership position in the market.
We operate two market-leading YouTube channels: GCN and GMBN, with over 1 million subscribers and millions of fans across associated social media platforms. Our presenters are ex-pros from the very highest levels who connect with the fans, and with world class athletes.
PSG also includes the award-winning international communications agency, SHIFT Active Media (SHIFT), focused exclusively on the cycling industry and who works alongside some of the biggest, most high profile brands in the cycling world. SHIFT is responsible for the international marketing for global cycling brands such as Continental, fi’zi:k, FSA, Selle Royal, KASK and many others.
SHIFT works on a variety of projects to help their clients achieve their strategic objectives, including website and brochure creation, social media management, print and digital advertising design and placement in international magazines and websites, producing TV commercials and videos.
- Recently refurbished city centre office
- MacBook Pro and dual monitors
- Generous holidays
- Company pension scheme
- A good coffee machine
- Secure bike parking and really nice showers
- Free fruit or jelly sweets
- Relaxed office environment with a very positive work ethic and rewarding atmosphere
DO YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
Send us your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are perfect for the role. You’ll also need to tell us the salary you think you deserve.
Digital Director, James Morell on firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Posted: 6th March 2017
Closing date: 27th March 2017