Play Sports Group (PSG) are looking for a Software Developer to join our growing team based in Bath.
We’re looking for a forward-thinking developer to help drive our business forwards. You will be working with a small team to design and build services to handle large quantities of data, as well as web applications to consume these data and perform analyses upon them. Data service designs will need an emphasis on scalability and speed so it can keep performing well as the platform grows. You will work closely with product owners to ensure the services are designed to serve their needs.
You will be working with modern web technologies, writing primarily in ES6 and TypeScript with NodeJS and frontend frameworks where applicable. The services you write will serve and consume RESTful APIs and web streams. The services need to be robust and reliable, so you’ll be championing a test-driven approach to development. You’ll be actively looking for the best solutions to the tasks at hand – we want you suggest using the languages, architectures or frameworks that you think will result in a better experience. Additionally, you could be performing some analyses on the data yourself, so any statistics or data modelling experience could come in handy.
You will be up for a challenge and willing to learn; if you need to head out to a conference to keep you up to date and your skills sharp then we’ll make sure you can do just that. You will also have access to online training courses in a wide variety of topics to help you keep developing professionally.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience writing semantic HTML5 and scalable, modular CSS using Sass or other pre-processing tools.
- Happy following a test driven development approach to software development.
- Experience consuming and sanitising data from RESTful APIs. x
- Experience building microservices to serve data over RESTful endpoints or streams.
- The confidence and knowledge to use the best tools and languages for the job and present new solutions to problems where you see a benefit.
- Experience designing and implementing database schemas (preferably NoSQL) with an emphasis on scalability and speed.
- Knowledge of how to prepare websites and their assets for production, with a desire to make sites as fast as possible.
- Ability to design and build fully responsive websites.
- Proficient knowledge of source control (git).
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to discuss ideas with colleagues.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with multi-threaded server side languages like GoLang.
- Knowledge of data visualisation libraries like Chart.js, Google Charts and/or D3.
- Knowledge of UX best practices, particularly around accessibility.
- Knowledge of OAuth2 for authentication.
- Knowledge of build automation tools like Gulp and continuous integration processes using Jenkins.
- Any experience developing apps, either natively or using frameworks like Nativescript or Electron.
- Some background in data analysis, statistical modelling or machine learning.
- Happy working on a Mac.
- A keen interest in cycling and the bike industry.
The Play Sports Group is the world’s leading creator of cycling digital video distributed on YouTube and Facebook. We are a digital sports media company focused on the world of cycling. Combining our deep love of the sport with world leading expertise in video and digital distribution, we have built a leadership position in the market.
We operate two market-leading YouTube channels: the Global Cycling Network and Global Mountain Bike Network, with over 1 million subscribers and millions of fans across associated social media platforms. Our presenters are ex-pros from the very highest levels who connect with the fans, and with world class athletes.
PSG also includes the award-winning international communications agency, SHIFT Active Media (SHIFT), focused exclusively on the cycling industry and who works alongside some of the biggest, most high profile brands in the cycling world. SHIFT is responsible for the international marketing for global cycling brands such as Continental, fi’zi:k, FSA, Selle Royal, KASK and many others.
SHIFT works on a variety of projects to help their clients achieve their strategic objectives, including website and brochure creation, social media management, print and digital advertising design and placement in international magazines and websites, producing TV commercials and videos or even organizing helicopter banner flights in Australia.
- Recently refurbished city centre office
- MacBook Pro and dual monitors
- Generous holidays
- Company pension scheme
- A good coffee machine
- Bike parking
- Really good showers
- Free fruit and jelly sweets
- Relaxed office environment
DO YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
Send us your CV, a link to your portfolio and covering letter explaining why you are perfect for the role. You’ll also need to tell us the salary you think you deserve.
Digital Director, James Morell on email@example.com
Date Posted: 15th March 2017
Closing date: 5th April 2017