Role purpose and responsibilities
To inspire, lead and manage a brilliant media planning and buying function at SHIFT. Develop vision for the media function, which informs a plan to elevate and evolve the media product. Implement structural, process and technology changes to enable those plans. Cultivate and develop client relationships – become a trusted advisor on their media strategy and execution. To be able to collaborate with other functions, to provide best in class, joined up solutions. To improve our ability to pitch, win and grow our media business.
Essential skills and competencies
- Media Vision: We’re looking for an inspiring leader, who is comfortable leading SHIFT’s media thinking and execution across the full gamut of media channels (with an emphasis on digital/performance). You will use a broad understanding of the media landscape to drive improvement and innovation that impacts the whole agency.
- Team Leader: You will need to develop and maintain a motivated and high performing team. Getting the best out of the multi-skilled team we have, bringing together the specialist talent, making them a more cohesive, less siloed from the rest of the agency, more involved upstream.
- Comms Strategy: You will have a full grasp of how to develop more tailored effective comms and media strategies and plans (working closely with our Strategy Director). These should be rooted a deep understanding of the cyclist, cycling category, the client/company and the competition, and be based on a holistic view of Owned, Earned and Paid media.
- Client Leadership: You will lead senior client relationships working with the Account Management function, to ensure we’re providing best in class client service across all our media relationships and a progressive product.
- Partnership Builder: We have critical relationships with Facebook and Google, these need to be nurtured and maintained. We are also building a portfolio of ad tech partners which need to be constantly reviewed and evaluated, and, where necessary, make changes and additions. Finally, our knowledge of the global specialist media sector is at the core of our proposition, and we need to invest time in these important relationships.
- Budget Responsibility: Large volumes of client spend flows through the media function. We need to ensure there’s effective governance around the media investment, both forecasting and actuals, ensuring the team is constantly on top of their clients’ spend levels and campaign performance. This will include regular reporting and dashboarding.
- Agency Management: (subject to seniority) You’ll sit as part of the SHIFT management team reporting to the MD, working alongside the Client Services Director, ECD, Strategy Director and Group CFO. To run and manage the agency, day to day.
Leads, mentors, motivates development media team, creates a positive work ethic, sets the benchmark for behaviour.
Has a wide understanding of all things media, actively looks to upskill and deepen knowledge, loves sharing and training others.
Has the ability to understand the data and insight coming back from a wide range of sources, assimilate it, create insights and make judgements based on sound reasoning. As well as monitoring, analyse and optimising channel/campaign performance.
Large volumes of budget flow through the team, so being commercial responsible and accountable, being capable of getting into the detail, as well as looking at the big picture.
Communicates with calm authority, professionalism and credibility, drives media agenda throughout the whole business.
Owns day-to-day media decision making and finds simple, effective solutions, shares problems with the leadership team, knows the overall agency direction and priorities, balancing these against the needs of the team.
Helps the team to plan ahead, anticipates and respond to our clients’ needs by working with Management team to manage client expectations or bring in additional resource.
Stays positive, always looks to solve problems, has ‘can do’ attitude, and also encourages that in others.
The Play Sports Group is home to SHIFT Active Media and the Play Sports Network.
Launched in 2010, SHIFT Active Media is an award-winning cycling media agency and works alongside some of the biggest, most high profile brands in the cycling world, such as Continental, crankbrothers, fi’zi:k, the Global Cycling Network (GCN), KASK, SRAM, Zwift, YT and many more. Our complete focus on cycling delivers a best in class knowledge together with outstanding results.
We’re a full-service creative and communications agency providing a wide a variety of services to help clients achieve their strategic objectives: from brand strategy, global media planning and buying, advertising creative, film and video production, website design and build, social media and beyond, our work resonates with cyclists the world over.
We’re a small but rapidly growing business, and while the atmosphere in the modern office in Bath is relaxed and fun, we are very ambitious and work hard to exceed the expectations of our clients.
- Recently refurbished air-conditioned city centre office
- Generous holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Bike parking
- Really good showers
- All you can eat fresh fruit and Haribo
- Monthly free lunch, pizza on your birthday and regular company rides
- Free merchandise, cycling kit and good coffee machine
DO YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
Send us your CV and covering letter explaining why you are perfect for the role and the salary you think you deserve to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Head of Media / Media Director’ as the email subject.