Role purpose and responsibilities
To Inspire, lead and manage a brilliant PR and Social Media function at SHIFT. Develop a vision for the PR and Social function, which informs a plan to elevate and evolve the quality of the product. Implement structural, process and technology changes to enable those plans. Cultivate and develop internal and client relationships – become a trusted advisor on PR strategy and execution. Foster collaboration with other functions, to provide best in class joined up solutions. Improve our ability to pitch and win PR business.
Essential skills and competencies
- PR & Social Vision: We’re looking for an inspiring leader, who is comfortable leading SHIFT’s PR and Social thinking and execution across the full gamut of PR services (with an emphasis on rock solid product PR and creative campaign activation). You will use a broad understanding of the PR landscape to drive learning, improvement and innovation that impacts the whole agency.
- Team Leader: You will need to develop and maintain a motivated and high performing team. Getting the best out of the existing multi-skilled team we have, bringing together their specialist talents, and making them a more cohesive department, less siloed from the rest of the agency, and more involved upstream.
- PR Strategy: You will have a full grasp of how to develop effective PR and Social strategies and plans (working closely with our Strategy Director). These should be rooted in a deep understanding of cyclists, cycling category, the client/company and the competition, and be based on a holistic view of Earned media. You should ensure that the teams are working to these strategies and hitting client objectives.
- Client Leadership: You will lead senior client relationships, working with the Account Management function, to ensure we’re providing best in class client service across all our PR relationships and a progressive product that sets the standard in cycling marketing.
- Relationship Builder: As a specialist PR agency, relationships with the endemic media and other cycling journalists and influencers are key, so these need to be nurtured and maintained. You will be expected to ensure that you and the team regularly meet, entertain and generate coverage from the global cycling media.
- Deliver Results: PR coverage/reviews for new products is still a critical part in the cyclist decision making process and we will be ultimately judged on the quality and volume of coverage we garner for our clients. You will need to be highly focused on this, and on ensuring that the team are regular reporting coverage, on time and with genuine insight.
- Agency Management: (subject to seniority) You’ll sit as part of the SHIFT management team reporting to the MD, working alongside the Client Services Director, ECD, Strategy Director and Group CFO. To run and manage the agency, day to day.
Leads, mentors, motivates development PR and Social team, creates a positive work ethic, sets the benchmark for behaviour.
Has a wide understanding of all things PR and Social, actively looks to upskill and deepen knowledge, loves sharing and training others.
Has the ability to develop a broad network of close relationships across the industry, both with the endemic media, and clients and potential clients.
Needs to grow the business, with a sustainable profit, commercially responsible and accountable, being capable of getting into the detail, as well as looking at the big picture.
Communicates with calm authority, professionalism and credibility drives media agenda throughout the whole business.
Owns day-to-day PR decision making and finds simple, effective solutions, shares problems with the wider leadership team, knows the overall agency direction and priorities, balancing these against the needs of the team.
Helps the team to plan ahead, anticipates and respond to our clients’ needs by working with Management team to manage client expectations or bring in additional resource.
Stays positive, always looks to solve problems, has ‘can do’ attitude, and also encourages that in others.
The Play Sports Group is home to SHIFT Active Media and the Play Sports Network.
Launched in 2010, SHIFT Active Media is an award-winning cycling media agency and works alongside some of the biggest, most high profile brands in the cycling world, such as Continental, crankbrothers, fi’zi:k, the Global Cycling Network (GCN), KASK, SRAM, Zwift, YT and many more. Our complete focus on cycling delivers a best in class knowledge together with outstanding results.
We’re a full-service creative and communications agency providing a wide a variety of services to help clients achieve their strategic objectives: from brand strategy, global media planning and buying, advertising creative, film and video production, website design and build, social media and beyond, our work resonates with cyclists the world over.
We’re a small but rapidly growing business, and while the atmosphere in the modern office in Bath is relaxed and fun, we are very ambitious and work hard to exceed the expectations of our clients.
- Recently refurbished air-conditioned city centre office
- Generous holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Bike parking
- Really good showers
- All you can eat fresh fruit and Haribo
- Monthly free lunch, pizza on your birthday and regular company rides
- Free merchandise, cycling kit and good coffee machine
DO YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
Send us your CV and covering letter explaining why you are perfect for the role and the salary you think you deserve to email@example.com with ‘Head of PR and Social’ as the email subject.