Updated May 2018
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive and which, once added, helps analyse web traffic or lets us know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
Like many companies, we also use tracking technologies to ensure you get the best from our services. In our mobile applications, we use SDKs, which are blocks of code that help us understand how you interact with our services and collect certain information about the device and network you use to access the application. SDKs may collect identifiers associated with your device or our apps.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better service by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer.
You can choose to accept or decline certain cookies. Declining cookies may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website or platform or accessing certain areas or services. You can find instructions on how to remove cookies using the links in the ‘changing your cookies’ section of this policy.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our websites or platforms. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our websites or platforms, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services, as well as cookies for system administration, to monitor traffic and prevent fraudulent activity, and to improve the security of the services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our websites and platforms when they are using them. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our websites or platforms. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Customisation cookies. We may use tracking technologies to deliver customised content and “first-party” marketing (marketing from the Play Sports group of companies) based on how you interact with our services.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website or platforms, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our services and the advertising displayed on them more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose, and pool this information with anonymised information provided to us by third parties.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below.
All websites and platforms
|Google Analytics is used by millions of websites the world over and these anonymised cookies help us see how people use our site, including where people find out about us, which pages they visit and how long they spend on the site. For an overview of privacy at Google, click here.|
Our online shops are powered by Magento, which sets the following cookies:
|external_no_cache||A flag that indicates if caching is disabled|
|persistent_shopping_cart||The session key|
|Stf||If product links were sent to friends, stores the timestamps in the format: $timeStamp1, $timestamp2, ..., $timestampN.|
|pollN||A poll ID that indicates if a vote has occurred|
|guest-view||Allows guests to edit their orders|
|yieldify_iv||Initial visit cookie which can show overlay|
|yieldify_visit||Visit cookie that always appears when tag is live|
|yieldify_frequency_click####||As above but for clicks|
|yieldify_st||User journey tracking|
|yieldify_stc||User journey tracking|
|yieldify_tv||User journey tracking|
|yieldify_ab||User journey tracking|
|yieldify_userinfo||User info tracking|
|yieldify_dynamic_campaign||User journey tracking|
|yieldify_ujt||User journey tracking|
GCN Club, Play Sports Network website, SHIFT Active Media website
In addition to the general cookies referred to above, the following cookies may be set when you visit these sites by WordPress, which powers these properties:
|These cookies are used by the content management system we use to power our website, variously to see if a user is logged in, check the language chosen by visitors to the site and if not in place may mean the site doesn't work in the expected fashion.|
We use remarketing services from Google, Rocketfuel and Facebook. Using these tracking cookies relevant ads can be served to users based on past visits to our websites. You can opt out of the use of these cookies at any time by changing your settings in the relevant parties’ ad settings.
Third party cookies
- Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/policies/cookies/;
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/legal/cookies/;
- Twitter: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170514; and
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/static?template=privacy_guidelines.
You may block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of some or all cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
How can you consent or object to cookies or other tracking technologies being placed on your device?
[Button labelled: “Manage Preferences”]
You can allow and deactivate cookies/trackers or exercise your choices regarding how IAB Transparency & Consent Framework participants may collect or use your data via our cookie preference centre available through the “Manage Preferences” button above. Please note that blocking all cookies can render some of the Services unavailable to you or have a negative effect on the performance, efficiency or customisation of the Services.
Please note that PlaySports Network participates in the IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework and complies with its policies and specifications. Discovery uses the Consent Management Platform with the identification number 28.
You can also control how cookies/trackers are set on your device by using your browser settings and, in some cases, the settings on your mobile device.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org or http://www.youronlinechoices.eu.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics, you can visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
In respect of mobile applications, your device may provide settings that allow you to express the choice not to have information about your use of mobile ads used for interest-based advertising purposes. On your iOS device, this is generally called “Limit Ad Tracking,” and on your Android device, it is generally called “Opt out of Ads Personalisation” or “Opt out of interest-based ads.”
We may change and update our list of tracking technologies from time to time. The most up to date version is published within the application. If we make major changes to this notice, we will take additional steps to ensure you are informed of such changes.